02-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #25
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbakking View Post

And Dealer quoted me $675 for S63's new battery, told me S63 pretty much uses most $$$ battery in BMW along with M5/M6.
Replacement battery brand is solely an individual thing. But more than likely you either need a 95R/H9 class size battery or a 49/H8 class size battery.

You can find multiple "brands" that sell a 95R/H9 or 49/H8 battery for less than $675.

In the US market...there are only 3 major battery manufactures that make 90% of all the battery brands in the US: Exide, East Penn, and Johnson Controls. Then there are a few "boutique" brands out there made by smaller battery manufacturers.

You can see in the East Penn battery chart below what the "specs" are for the various battery class sizes. Most other battery's specs will be very similar in the 4 marketing catagories listed below. Some may be a few specs higher or lower here and there...but will pretty much be close to each other in specs. But the price and warranty may be the deciding factors:
  • CA - cranking amps
  • CCA - cold cranking amps
  • RC - reserve capacity
  • AH - amp hour

The 95R/H9 battery is the longest (case wise)...so make sure that it will fit in your battery compartment. If too long, then look for a 49/H8 battery class size...because it will have the next highest AH rating:

Here's examples of the Duracell (wet) 95R/H9 battery sold at Batteries Plus (this is an East Penn battery)...pic is from 2013 and is NOT an AGM battery which will probably cost a bit more:

I bet if you call around locally or go online to some of the automotive websites and search info for a 95R/H9 or 49/H8 AGM battery...very few of them with the specs your current battery has will cost $675.
Appreciate 0