View Single Post
      04-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
eieio35
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5m

2011 X5m - motor problems, injectors...

I am asking for help and suggestions as to what I should do with my car.

Car - 2011 X5m - 55,000 miles. I am the second owner, I purchased the car at 24000 miles. It is my daily driver. I don't drive it hard or abuse it.

At 53000 miles it quit with the engine lights on and limp mode. Dealer diagnosed it as bad injectors. Recommended that I replace all of them. I agreed, ($3500) and during the process service advisor calls and say that one of the injectors (cylinder #3) feel apart and down into the cylinder. Said it would take a week to get it out and would have to wait for parts. Next day they call back and say that the mechanic fished it out spark plug hole and all is good. Im puzzled at this point but agreed to let it go. After a quick internet search I see all of the posts about injectors failing on the V8's.
I get the car back and it drives great, best it ever has.

Two weeks go by and the light comes on again. Towed back to dealer- dealer says that it is one bad injector. Replace for free- back on my way a day later.

Another two weeks go by and same thing. Light on dash and limp mode.
I have it towed to the dealer and tell them that it cant be the injectors again for the third time. They somewhat agree and try to dig deeper.
They think that the cylinders are washed out with fuel and are out of spec.
Strange, it never ran really bad- cant see how this would happen.
So they agree to pull the motor to diagnose deeper. Say that if it is the cause of the injectors failing, BMW will pay for new motor. If it is a piece from the original injector replacement that caused the scoring on the walls, their shop insurance will pick up the tab. They estimate new motor at $24k.

Car has been in the shop for this diagnosis for two weeks. They finally get the motor torn apart yesterday and tell me that they block is cracked at #3 cylinder..

I'm dumbfounded and don't know what to do.
They say it will take a month to fix.
I do have X3 loaner car.

Anybody ever heard of such a thing?
Are there any used motors out there that could be swapped?
Ideas and or suggestions.?????

thank you
Appreciate 0