View Single Post
      10-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
Low Note
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3/2010 X6 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
Lexus actually now uses Mark Levinson for their hi-fi systems and IMO they sound better than the Premium sound in the X6. Don't get me wrong, the Premium Sound sounds great in the X6 but not as good as the Mark Levinson system that was in my old Lexus IS350. Part of that my also be that the IS350 was a smaller car but the bass response and clearity when played loud was also better.
The Mark Levinson sound system used in various Lexus vehicles is designed and manufactured by Harman International. It is nothing more than a slightly better quality Harman Kardon stock system. Harman owns the Mark Levinson trade name (I actually know the original Mark Levinson, since I used to review his equipment for Stereophile magazine), but the quality of the auto systems are nowhere close to what is offered for the home (and even then, the new Mark Levinson home gear is not what it used to be). If you really want to hear a good car audio system, take a listen to the new Burmester system in the 2010 Porsche Panamera. I know Dieter Burmester well, and have owned his home audio components. This is beyond a doubt the best car audio system ever designed...and for a lot less than most of the aftermarket crap I see put into high end cars all the time for ridiculously huge amounts of money.
Appreciate 0