archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Slow booting Rearview cam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
KJ, when you test drove the X6 and tried the backup camera, was the car running already or did you just start it and put the car in reverse right away?

The problem with the backup camera (or even just PDC for that matter) really only is an issue right after you start the car. NOT when you have been running the engine for a while already!

The Nav computer has to 'boot up' first before you can use it. This can take up to 30 seconds or so. In this time it boots the OS, and tries to initialize the DVD drive as well as communicate with everything else in the car to do a quick diagnostics check. During this time, it simply ignores any other 'user' inputs/requests (e.g. steering wheel buttons, reverse gear selection to enable PDC and/or reversing camera, etc...).

Out of personal experience, I have found that the DVD drive seems to add the longest delay. By removing the Navigation DVD from the drive, it boots up a lot faster and is by far more responsive. However, that said, I do NOT remove the Navigation DVD from the drive. I only did this for test purposes to see if it would help and it did.
xDrive50i;
do u mean that u just disengage the nav dvd by pushing the eject button on the dash but leave the disc partly sticking out?? & u get faster response on the rrview cam?
Appreciate 0