View Single Post
      10-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #54
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Interesting. The camera and sensors on my 35i are almost instantaneous even from 'cold'. If I start her up and immediately select reverse the sensors kick in straight away and the camera comes on 'over the top' of the awful "Accept the danger of using this system" message within a couple of seconds. Must be different software versions as I also have Navi and Premium sound.

Cheers, Anteater.
More than likely it is how you approach your vehicle. The iDrive with full options takes 28 seconds to boot. And then another 30-60 seconds for voice activation and bluetooth to sync the phone.

So there are a couple scenarios that would explain this.

1. If the person has comfort access, touches the door handle to unlock the vehicle, gets in and starts the engine within a few seconds, they get to wait 25 seconds or more for the iDrive to boot and camera to display.

2. If on the other hand, you use the key fob and unlock the car from afar, say 50ft, as soon as the door(s), rear hatch, etc. unlocks the computer starts booting. So by the time you get in and start the engine, most of the boot process is complete.

Depending on where I am parked, if I think I will need the camera to assist in backing up, I use the fob to get the boot process started sooner so I don't have to wait.

BMW can improve the camera by causing it to be first in the boot process before Navigation rather than after.

Last edited by chuck92103; 10-11-2008 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0