08-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #27
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBert View Post
Why not look at meth injection to keep the air cooler, would be less expensive than intercoolers
I've avoided meth because I don't wanna have to maintain filling yet another container on a regular basis when I was doing power adders to my Harley F150 which is pushing a little over 600HP currently. What is a popular thing that the Lightning/Harley guys do is something called a Killer Chiller where it taps inline with the A/C system (yes, you run A/C more then, but the gains outweigh the loses) and it keeps the intercooler system at 40* at almost any boost level passing throught the air-to-water intercoolers while having a quick recovery time. I may be incorrect in this, but WOT causes the compressor clutch to disengage anyways, so ultimately you'll still have the most power you'd want on tap regardless of the A/C being on.

Seems having out intercoolers mounted between the radiator and engine would be an incredibly hot location. Before I knew much about the X*M vehicles, I assumed the lower outer grill openings were being used to feed air to two small individual FMIC's much like the Cayenne Turbo.

I'm going to write Killer Chiller for the hell of it and see what it'd take to adapt one of their kits to work on our vehicles, but in the meantime I'm going to continue reading about intercooler upgrades, mostly hoping to see if anyone has done a FMIC and/or has upgraded the stock air-to-waters and documented the temp changes.
Appreciate 0