View Single Post
      03-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
doctexas
Enlisted - in need of promotion
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X5 4.8i

Garage List
I currently own a 2008 E70 X5 4.8i and I have owned it since 3000 miles. Currently have 86,000 miles and I love this X5. It is my second one I have owned and my first one I traded in with 186,000 miles on it! I drive it as my daily driver and have taken it to the ski slopes 10+ times. It handles well in the snow and offers great reassurance on long road trips. I have had no big issues other than routine maintenance. There has been some peeling of painted trim in the interior that seems to have plagued many BMWs, but inexpensive to replace as needed to keep car looking new. This vehicle has been very reliable, but that is because I am meticulous with maintenance. I had the CPO 6 year warranty and extended maintenance protection plan. Nevertheless, my 6 years is up on the warranty and maintenance and I have a great mechanic that I trust that does all of my work and service for 60% cheaper than any dealership. Gas mileage has been an issue, as I have a heavy foot and I enjoy spirited driving. I usually get about 14-16mpg in the city and about 20mpg on the highway. If you have any focused questions about this vehicle, ask away. Good luck with your search. I plan on purchasing a 2014/2015 X5 35d or 50 only when I am tired of mine, which may be a long time away!

I do recommend finding one with CPO warranty and extendable maintenance if you can, especially if you are purchasing pre-owned. That way you can get things changed / fixed / serviced in order to keep it running like new. If not, find a reliable mechanic that you trust to do routine maintenance for you. The 4.8i does require 8.5-9 liters of oil, so it can get expensive with oil changes.
Appreciate 0