Thread: X6 Spotted?
View Single Post
      11-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
morty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 xDrive50i

DUDE – This is an AWESOME spy photo! You should be working with Brenda Priddy!

As I see it, you have scooped a FIRST – this is the first (mostly) clear shot of the aft-most window – without camouflage tape or tented coverings… And I’m IMPRESSED…

The ‘Concepts’ shown in Germany a few weeks back had completely fake window covers. They totally covered the B pillar and C pillar. I think they did this just to make the car look more ‘concept’ than it was (so the world would be impressed when production started so soon after???). Anyone following this site has seen all the test mules & early production cars have standard framed windows (just like the X5) with an exposed B pillar. The cars in Frankfurt looked slick, but I just think “Lee Press-On Nails” when I see the fake window covers.

From your shot, we can now see how narrow the C pillar is; and again, I’m amazed. The fixed window behind the door looks to be actually usable! I was thinking it would be totally useless, but you can actually see into the car from this angle. The D pillar is pretty small too – but that is probably just how it looks from this angle. Still VERY COOL PHOTO!!!

The small triangular window you mentioned at the aft edge of the rear door is a product of design requirements. Because the wheel arch eats into the lower portion of the door, the rear window must be shorter and straight at the back end… so the small triangular window is fixed (exactly like the X5 and most every other 4-door car)– but again, it looks usable from inside.

So all in all, it looks like visibility will be fine from inside out. I was concerned with the high rear deck and very sloped rear glass, that the rear visibility would suck, but thanks to your photo, I think not.

Please keep your camera phone charged and close by – we need MORE PHOTOS!!!
Appreciate 0