03-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #37
Whoopsy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 B7, 11 X6M, 07 997TT, 08 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme123 View Post
Again, no one is disputing the basic properties of oil here. This post is not about engine oil properties. It's about: Why variouis BMW service centers are giving out conflicting information on which oil to use?, which you have not been able to answer. I think if was clearly stated in the manual, then there would not have been many of us asking the question on which oil to use. Again, there seems to be a bit of ambiguity in the manaul that are include in the MY 2010 model. The main manual is the generic X6/X5 manual wich states the 30 to 40 weight oil being used. But there is no mention of the type of oil in the M supplemental manual. We have seen various accounts of verbal and visual varifications of both types of oil being filled at service centers. Are we to fully trust our BMW service centers? AGAIN, have you have yours serviced and what did they put into your vehicle? Please remember, many of us did not specificly ask for the TWS when we have our vehicle serviced. It is what the the default is called up for oil service when the service center pull it up on the screen. I would really like to know if my car is getting filled with wrong oil and if so, a verification from BMW. I am sure you feel the same, no?

Hmmm....load does have a bearing (lol...no pun intened) on what type of oil is used. A typical factory Japanese speedbike that revs to 13k redline still calls for a 40 weight oil. It's not just about "high reving". Also to clarify, the term "high reving" is subjective. A MY 2000 BMW M5 revs "only" to 7000 rpm and that vehicle calls for the 10-60 TWS as well. Is that considered a "high reving" car?

Again, the correct oil is the 10w-30, a lot of the BMW dealers are just assuming it's a M and it will use the 10w-60 that's SPECIFICALLY stated for the other M engines. Then you factor in the bigger profit margin of the 10w-60 and you will see why a few dealers WANT to sell you that oil instead.

BMW thought it was clear that the engine uses the 5w-30 as printed in he manual because they didn't specifically state the engine NEEDS 10w-60 like the other M engines. Common sense?

The bikes uses 2-stroke engines, different architecture than the 4 stroke car engines, wrong comparison. And yes, 7000 rpm is already a high rev, it is a rpm range you don't normally see on most engines.

Since you are the one wanting to use the thicker oil, you are the one who risk damaging your engine without sufficient oil cooling at the high end of the rev range. Both thinner oil and thicker oil will achieve the same oil pressure as spec by BMW, so it won't throw a low oil pressure code, but the flow of oil will be around half of 5w-30 at the top end of the rev range for the 10w-60, in effect you will be getting only half the cooling from oil sprays. Since you are filling the same amount of oil, the ECU won't throw a code for low oil volume, and you won't get a code for low flow as the ECU doesn't check for that either. in effect, you might think everything is fine since there is no code but you are damaging your engine in silent.

I've had my confirmation for 5w-30 oil use from 2 sources, one from Alpina directly for my B7 engine and one from a M personal that I met before, two source that I believe are more reliable than dealers.
Appreciate 0