View Single Post
      11-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
BlackX6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Yep, your factor was there - sorry - over it. I've seen the 1.2 or 20 percent loss factor used a number of times.

As far as the fans go, don't think you can get enough air through there.

You probably saw Diana talk about it - he's got these wind tunnel fans. Don't know why these serious dyno shops don't invest in some credible air moving equipment. You'd think because it's their stock and trade they'd want to do it right.
Well, most of the shops don't invest in the fans because most cars DON'T have airflow meters... those shops use the fans just to keep the engine cool. The X6 can actually measure the "speed" of the air coming in, so the car can "tell" that it is actually hitting the speed you would expect with those high RPMs and it thus lets the engine loose... When it's NOT reading the correct airspeed coming in then it "tones down" the engine output so it wont overheat... if it makes sense. Some cars with airflow meters actually have a "dyno mode" where it takes the airflow speed out of the equation and pushes the engine to the max... I'm not sure if the X6 has that.

Well, the stupidity of the whole thing is that ICS PERFORMANCE shop actually HAS these huge fans I just didn't think of asking them to use them - I'm not sure if they knew about the airflow meter. The K&N Dyno facility out West which is one of the most advanced in the country is like a wind tunnel - the air speed is adjusted to trick the car into "believing" it's actually achieving the right speed and pushing the output to the max... Well, whatever. all said and done, the truck is a BEAST... :-)
Appreciate 0