10-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #10
ep224
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 AWoSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
1. Follow the rules, posted above:

Toe (front and rear): close to zero, but not zero. About negative 0.02 max.

Camber (rear): symmetrical and in center.

2. BIG mistake going to dealer: a. they charge too much and b. they don't do alignments according to owner requests ... they do it according to BMW published specs. Once they are in the green zone, they've met specs and they charge you. Nothing you can do about, except that you will suffer early tire wear. Highly doubtful they will permit you to come in the shop to watch them do the alignment and say "stop, that's the value I want". Getting 0.02 on toe-in requires patience and time because of equipment drift while adjusting.

3. Go back to your local specialty shop ...

Doing a proper alignment is not rocket science, but BMW dealers sure make it sound that way. Absolutely highway robbery to charge 200% more than anybody else. Downright insulting. Same for engine coolant flush ...

PS. Don't know about your tire wear ... haven't a clue ... aftermarket suspension components? Looks like you have some cupping going on on the edges ...
Thanks for the reply PAX. I'm gonna give the dealer a shot - reasons I can't post here.

I spoke to my shop and the owner told me they aligned the 08 as close to spec as possible and made sure they weighted it per BMW. Aside from the center wear issue (no aftermarket components) I was really happy with the results. I think the wear in the rears was a combination of pressure and temperature and speeds.

As for the actual specs for the 12, they're gonna work with me and I'm gonna likely split the difference between what you guys suggest and the spec - only because of the success with the 08 to spec. Although... Looking at that pic I guess that's not success.

Last question... Bad toe alignment would show in what kind of tire wear?

And, thanks again man I really appreciate the help
Appreciate 0