View Single Post
      03-29-2018, 10:58 AM   #62
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
What are you offering as comparison? It's a better chassis than the GT86. That's sort of the end of what's comparable in the price range. I need to carry a kid, so the ND Miata is out, but also not really a better chassis than the MQB. It's still pretty flexy and would need a lot of suspension work to get rid of the stupid amounts of lean Mazda built in.

The 230i is not enjoyable, one wheel drive, heavy and actually exhibits more understeer than the GTI, especially at lower speeds. Sure it has the ability to create power on oversteer, but the chassis understeers earlier and harder than the GTI.

You mentioned the R, but I found it actually understeers more than the GTI. A little more weight on the front axle and no mechanical LSD combined with a Haldex setup that's still predominantly fwd doesn't help as much as one might think. I swear they also have softer shocks and springs, but maybe it's just the lazy DCC.

So again, for under $45k, what rwd chassis is there that's worlds better than the GTI? The only thing I've considered that's outside of the price bracket is a GT350, and possibly the M2 Competition, but I really prefer having rear doors and a hatch. And we have an F30 LCI, it's definitely not that.
You sure that the R was in the correct mode? I found that it has a stiffer suspension than the GTI. Anyhow for 45k the answer is easily the Camaro SS 1Le- beat the ferrari 458, last generation R8 V10,GT4 and killed the M2 on track but it isn't the most practical car. The GTI is great in that it offers a good blend of performance,refinement and practicality for an affordable price but there are better options if your #1 priority is on-track performance.

Last edited by Towerworld; 03-29-2018 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
CT335xi684.00