View Single Post
      10-13-2017, 12:08 AM   #8
coolmayank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
Yep, So...If you need all four off the ground at the same time, which isn't recommended without a lift, then you need to lift the front first. Put blocks behind the rear tires and lift at the center jacking point. When you reach your max lift the throw the jack stands under the front side jacking points. and lower the jack. If you only have one jack then pull it out for use in the rear. If you have two then leave that jack in place with most of the weight/pressure on the jack stands.
Center Jacking Point:

If you only had the one jack then move the blocks to the front of the car where the tires would be touching the ground, just in case the vehicle pivots too much on the jack stands when lifting the rear and you have the wheelbarrow effect described above. Then you move to the rear and jack from the differential. The ///M diff is very different from standard diffs since it is a massive three part torque vectoring diff. The cooling fins are on the bottom instead of having a rear cover with cooling fins. I have not done this yet myself, but I would place a 2x4 across the fins perpendicular to the travel direction of the vehicle (parallel with the axle) and lift on the wood to distribute the weight across the fins. Then same deal with lifting to max and placing the jack stands underneath. Leave the jack in place if you can with most of the weight on the jack stands.
Rear Center Jacking Point:

You may have to go back and forth jacking up the car and adding a click to the jack stands to get all the tires off the ground depending on how high your jack lifts.

Alternately I have been successful on other vehicles jacking up the rear side jacking point, which lifts the front enough to get a jack stand under the front side jacking point on the same side. then do the same for the other side of the vehicle. Then use the diff to jack up the rear. The problem with this is that the vehicle teeters diagonally when lifting the second side...and it is just dangerous.

Thanks much for detailed explanation and pics , I was curious to check the oil leaks and other components on the engine bay . I think I will be good with just by jacking the front . Thanks again
Appreciate 0