11-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ZCP6MT View Post
Will the 315 rear tires stick out and require a flare fender kit?
It all depends on the wheel's offset you pick. If you stick with the factory offset (doesn't have to be a factory wheel, just the same offset), it will fit fine. The offset is where the hub section of the wheel is relative to the inside and outside edges where the tire is mounted - IOW, the vertical face where the wheel bolts are relative to the rim.

In my comparison, I was talking RFT-RFT. Swapping to a normal tire is a different story, since the sidewalls can be much more flexible - it doesn't have to be stiff enough to hold the vehicle up with no air pressure. But, a 20" tire verses a smaller diameter one WILL be stiffer, when comparing apples-to-apples, regardless of the type.

As you go higher up in the tire diameter, those tires tend to be only available in higher performance tread - often, the actual depth when new is shallower. While not a perfect reference, the tread wear guide number is fairly consistent, at least within a single manufacturer's line (not necessarily between different brands), and a good idea of how long the tire will last you.
Appreciate 0