05-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #11
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcburton View Post
We had a 2011 X5 - same thing. Heard vibrations for a few days prior when pressing the gas but none when letting off the pedal. Then about an hour into a two hour drive at 70 MPH the front drive shaft joint broke. This is the front universal that connects the rear wheels (shaft) just under the front seats. When it broke it sounded like a machine gun firing (50 calibur). You can imagine the collateral damage in that area. Oil pan, brake lines etc. We had a third party warranty that offered to pay for the part ($50) but didn't want to pay for the other $2500 in parts and labor. We fought hard and had all but about $200 covered by the time we were done. Same mileage - around 70K. We got the car back but ended up trading it in for a newer one since the wife was freaked out about what happened that day. It wasn't until we got rid of it when the notice came in the mail about the recall. I called the dealership and they told me that I still had to own the vehicle if I wanted to recover the $200. I will be keeping an eye on the 2013 X5 part.
Did you check with BMW regarding repairs? There's a limited warranty extension to 10 years/120K miles on the driveshaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
2010 and up E70 right?
I'm not actually positive on the years when I said 'All E70's' above, I just meant it wasn't V8 specific.
Appreciate 0