View Single Post
      01-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #7
pughmat
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 4.8

Finished

I just completed replacing the left side light and adding the newer foam gasket to the right side. The job took about 90 minutes, but at least 30 minutes of that was cleaning off the goo on the right tail light assembly since I wanted it clean before installing the new gasket. I spent about 20 minutes cleaning the goo of off both side of the car itself Other than that, pretty straight forward and easy and I am not a car guy. Bought the part online for $70. Bought the gasket from the local dealer since it didn't come together. I also paid $5 for a trim kit on amazon that was worth every single penny to get the trim panel off.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pughmat View Post
I had that same light go out a couple of weeks ago and it finally registered to the control messages just a couple of days ago which I thought was strange. After asking around (and not having any soldering experience) I ordered a new light from Amazon. I plan to install it this weekend based on watching the youtube video for water in the taillights. FYI - The part I ordered did not come with the newer style gaskets they have now so I would either order those as well if needed.

You may be able to keep yours based on the other suggestions. Funny thing about mine, I actually have water in the other inner taillight right now, but it's not out. I do plan to seal them both though with the new gaskets and maybe some silicone as well as suggested earlier.

Had I know all of these were going to go bad when my right side light failed and busted, I would have upgraded all to the LCI.

Good Luck.

Matt
Appreciate 0