View Single Post
      03-04-2021, 07:35 AM   #46
eqeezy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x5 xdrive50i

Hi. New to this forum. Anyway, I am working on my n63 as we speak. My initial plan was to just replace all of the coolant and oil lines around the turbos and also replace all of my valve stem seals.
Somehow I ended up replacing the timing chains as well. Haha. It's never ending!
There is a way to remove the lower timing cover without taking heads off. It definitely helps to remove everything in front of the car (radiator, ac condenser, etc.) so you can just sit in front of it!
I removed the crankshaft seal to give me room for a 3 jaw puller to sit in. put the crank bolt back on so you're not having to thread on the actual crankshaft. When you put that 3 jaw puller, it is really easy to get that lower timing off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnelP View Post
Sorry for getting back on the topic of Engine Timing case cover removal with keeping the heads on. However, I cannot quit the idea easily, as the prospect of taking the heads out puts all my enthusiasm on hold...
So, I am studying a way to get Engine Timing Case Cover out with heads on. Been last Saturday to a self service used auto parts yard to get a spare cover as most likely mine will get broken. Plus, it was a good rehearsal opportunity. In fact, I ended up with the rehearsal only, as I didn't reach the point to take it out before closing the lot, and I see they removed the car from the lot...
Anyway, I have noticed there is enough space in the head for the chain guides to be wiggled in without taking the heads out. Noticed the gasket between lower case cover to the short block is not the rubber/gasket builder type that usually glues the parts. I noticed a thin blade is able to break the gasket contact. If i slide a thin blade along the gasket, it may help.
Only catch is to handle those two lateral dowels. I think with the engine on the stand upside down to have the weight of the heads to release a bit of the load, + freezing the area around the head and cover, with upper oil pan out and with a bit of luck - given the dowels may get a play, the cover may slide out.
I have attached two pictures from ebay with the cover and the dowels.
In case the dowels become stubborn, I am thinking to slide a small cutting bit with a dremel rotary and slice the dowels, or, maybe use a larger drill to enlarge the bolt hole on the cover.
Or maybe use an oscillating tool to cut the dowels laterally through the cover ?
I sacrifice the cover; however it will be much cheaper than replacing all head gaskets, intake and exhaust bolts and rings that i need to replace if i take the heads out. Hence my plan to get the spare one in time....

PS. I was able to take 1 head out with all the surroundings, but it is a nightmare with engine in the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TTV8M125.00