03-30-2017, 06:46 PM   #109
lm1z
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Ummm...No.

There's a reason why other countries have graduated licensing for motorcycles. Countries that have a way better licensing system than the joke we have here in the States. There's a reason why racers have to graduate up classes. No one jumps on a GP bike as their first time out racing.

There is a limit as to how far that "respect" is going to save your a$$ past a certain displacement sport bike. And if you ride in fear of the bike all the time is it really the right bike for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelr View Post
I think while it is a good idea to graduate from tier to tier, it's not a given that someone can't practice restraint. My first bike was the 96 gsxr 750 when it first released, bought an 01 gsxr 1000 after trading the 750 in without ever having an issue on it.

I usually push new riders to something in the 600cc range with a focus on mid range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelr View Post
Lap times might not differ much but there is a world of difference between a liter bike and 600 supersport when twisting the throttle, you can ring the 600's neck with relative impunity but crack the throttle too far on a liter bike and it will put you on your ass.

I agree that smaller stuff is safer but it's not a death sentence if they go the other way...most accidents on bikes aren't due to power per se, rather bad habits, target fixation, carrying too much speed into a corner etc.
Angelr pretty much clarified exactly how I feel about this.
angelr188.50