View Single Post
      01-16-2018, 05:56 AM   #381
Steadyspeed
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Towing?

I have a question about towing. I'm planning on going to Daytona bike week this year and I'm going to be pulling a 7x14 tandem enclosed trailer from Indiana to Florida. My trailer with my motorcycles and gear will be around 3500-4000lbs. I have pulled this configuration before when my X5 was stock to Michigan. Now I run the Stage 2 (91 oct) for my daily drive, I don't ever flog it. I found I get better mpg's and it's overall easier to drive with this tune. (I have stock cats)

I've grown up around diesels all my life and when towing, high EGT's are not your bad. I'm going to buy a 7" fire tablet so I can monitor the egt's and a few other parameters if I choose to use the Stage 1 tune for towing. I've pulled with it stock before and it works good, It's not a speed demon up large hills though and when towing, more or some extra power is always helpful.

Is anyone on here towing and using any of the MHD tunes? From Indiana to Florida I have to go through a couple mountains through Kentucky and Tennessee. (I call them mountains compared to Indiana) I'm worried that prolonged higher boost pressures will increase egt's to an unsafe level. It's a shame we don't have tuners like diesels that monitor egt's automatically and cut boost pressure when a limit is reached. I know diesels are used for towing a lot more so this is a bigger issue with them. I know with gas motors ignition timing along with boost pressure are the contributor to bad things happening to an engine.

I'm looking for thoughts or feedback from actual people towing, or Justin's input. I'm not looking to kill a trans or toast my engine. I'm sure running stock is the most safest options and I'm not past doing that. If I have time and weather permits I'm going to try to do a few Stage 1 trial tows and monitor everything.
Appreciate 0