View Single Post
      07-01-2010, 05:12 AM   #46
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 ///M

In an effort to put an end to this. I wanted to give my 2 cents on the matter.

Get the PIAA H8 bulbs. The lights you have are an H8 bulb anyway and it's not worth running the risk of using LED's. I ordered a pair of bulbs from the PIAA shopatron website and with shipping they cost about $85 bucks.

I called PIAA in Oregon and talked to a sales rep, didn't catch his name though.
Phone: 800-525-7422

The guy was knowledgable and said he knew people who used the H8 bulbs in their BMW's and they were bright & white. This is a newer bulb and is the preferred choice because you can have factory fitment with an H8 bulb without the hassle and worry of an LED. You run a lot less risk using an H8 bulb versus an LED that could potentially damage your electrical system.

The PIAA H8 bulbs are US Department of Transportation (DOT) approved. They dont sell the PIAA H499E LED kit in the States because the US DOT won't allow their import from Japan due to safety concerns. It would be wise to go with a DOT approved bulb if your in the States.

By the way, a lot of people are replacing the license plate light bulbs by replacing the housing with LED ones by WeissLicht or other brands. The guy at PIAA told me over the phone that in the Fall (August timeframe) they are coming out with a new tubular type 12v 5 watt bulb (the power flows through it). This will be a factory fit type bulb so you dont have to take the BMW engineered housing's out you only replace with a PIAA bulb and get the super white effect. This way, like the Angel Eyes, you aren't using LED's, you are using super white bulbs with the same look as an LED with a lot less risk.

I recommend the H8 from PIAA for Angel Eyes and I'll get the new tubular bulbs for the license plate when they come out this Fall. Im out of the country right now so I wont have pics soon.

Click on the pic to go to the PIAA website where they sell the item.

Last edited by artrosis; 07-01-2010 at 06:00 AM..
Appreciate 0