02-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #9
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
Just talked to my friend who sold me the X6 when he was a salesman at BMW official dealer, and told me there were a lot of issues with X's due to the Castrol engine oil they used (now replaced by Shell, but nobody told me that before the disaster). So X6 owners that don't park their cars in a heated garage during winter, be careful. Also, that the components that keep the timing chain tensed, were a bit too thin, from start. Combined with a thickened oil during winters, at cold startup and drive off, , you might get into this kind of huge trouble. Also please do replace your timing chain at aprox. 80k miles (doesn't matter what mechanics say) and also do replace your transmission oil, even if they tell you it has a lifetime warranty.
I think you just pushed me over the edge to switch from 5W30 to 0W40 year round in my 2013 X6M....certainly I think this should be the standard for cold climates...particularly in high performance engines. Thoughts? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/83212365945/

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 02-21-2016 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Added link
Appreciate 0