11-10-2017, 08:32 AM   #13
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I don't use any of those products so can't really comment on them. I will say, both my cousin and I use a variety of different products for detailing our BMW's - for clay we both use Griot's Garage. He recently ran out in the middle of a detail and had to buy Meguiar's at his local auto parts store and said the stuff was sh*t compared to Griot's Garage.

I don't know how bad your swirl marks are, but some of that stuff is likely not needed/won't be helpful. I'd return some of it and put the money toward an orbital buffer. As other's have stated, the X5 is a big vehicle - you're gonna wear yourself out before you ever complete it in all likelihood. Let the orbital do all the work. Not to mention the results will be much better. Keep in mind, if swirls are that bad, you'll need to use that compound, then a finisher/light polish, and a sealant (after wash and clay bar) - believe me you'll want an orbital to do all that.

You might visit the detailing specific forum over on the E9x site, tons of good stuff there which is all applicable to your X5 - http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=189

If you get an orbital, the video below is definitely worth watching in terms of product application.

Lastly - if you're going to a self wash, I hope you have your own bucket, soap, and wash mitt? If you're using a their brush, it's no wonder you have swirl marks. If you go through with the detail, make sure not to use those brushes going forward or the detail will be a waste of time.

This.

All the way, this.

You will not be happy with your results unless you get an orbital polisher, no real swirls can be removed by hand...

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0