Thread: X5M from E90M
View Single Post
      01-15-2015, 10:35 PM   #5
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

I made this move (2008 6MT E90M3 to 2011 X5M) in October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retusn View Post
The trans in the X5M does not shift anywhere near like the M3. It does okay but a DCT trans would have been awesome in the X5M.
YES. The regular auto shift settings are ridiculous. I can be going up a 15% grade at 25 mph in my neighborhood and will notice it has me in 5th gear. Out of 6. I haven't yet gotten to like the paddles... In M mode, running up to red line, shifting is harsh (IMHO, a result of not having a clutch).

Quote:
Originally Posted by airshaq20 View Post
The X5M will be faster in straight line, will be easier to mod (tune, etc), but the perception of speed is not there so even if you are going fast, it feels like standstill. Which means, less fun. Exhaust sound will be a let down compared to E9x M3. It will be more comfy (or softer if you will) but IMO, the X5M doesn't need to be stiff like the M3.

IMO, if you love the fun factor of the M3, keep it and just get another car for the wife.
God, this thing will mash your head into the very cushy wrap-around headrest when you stomp on it off the line. For as much as it weighs, it's shocking how quickly you can get going WAY above the speed limit. I have the speed warning set at 90mph for my local toll highway and it's constantly bleeping at me.

It's true that you're sitting up so much higher that it feels off (at least to me). I've tried to take corners somewhat aggressively (keeping in mind I'm on Blizzaks) and the traction control is constantly interfering. Double-sided coin: I can't break the thing loose when I want to play! but I don't feel like I'm the one in control. Also, the suspension is MUCH softer than what's on the E9xM3, even with EDC on.

I hear the exhaust noise can be "fixed" via high flow (or catless) downpipes, but haven't investigated more than a quick search here. I had Gintani Race on my E90... a comparison just isn't possible between the two engine noises. S65 wins in my book. Except the tuning capabilities at altitude for the S63 with the turbos are intriguing...

I'd agree that maybe you find another vehicle for your wife... or try DCT? I'm already back to looking at the FS section on M3Post. But to ADD to my stable instead of replace. Because this thing is a BEAST in the snow and I also like having a "truck". Albeit one that gets absolutely AWFUL gas mileage. WAY worse than the E90!
Appreciate 0