05-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
+1

In addition to that, unless you ALWAYS use the exact same gas station and the exact same pump to get your gas, there is no guarantee that you will end up with the same amount of gas. Some pumps start to count before it even comes out of the end of the hose, but will stop counting the second you cut it off. And who knows how 'accurate' the pump actually is. Just do a Google search and you can find all kinds of interesting articles from gas station all over the place that were scamming consumers out of gas by having the counter run faster than the actual gas pumped, etc.

In regards to the temperature variation you mentioned, every pump has a sticker that states what the volume is equalized to. Funny thing is that you hardly ever have that as an ambient temperature

You are absolutely right, they used to post the calibration parameters before (temp and pressure) on the pumps. It is a hard press to find them on the pumps these days. I noticed the ones in Canada still post the temp and pressure under which the pumps are calibrated
Appreciate 0