View Single Post
      11-28-2017, 05:11 PM   #10
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Ummm, yes it has. I live in Dallas, and because of the thefts in my condo building I've had discussions with police about it, both on duty and off. This type of theft is somewhat common here, but the thefts are executed for different reasons. Accessing a passive keyless entry car here is frequently done to steal what's inside the car, not the car itself. You're correct: it's harder to get a stolen car south of the border. But it's also easier to sell stolen property that, in some cases, can be worth thousands just stuffed into your pocket.

The key (pun intended) for thieves is getting the code that the fob emits within range of the receiver on the car itself. Thieves can't do one, then the other -- it must be done simultaneously. That's why this kind of theft isn't common in, say, mall parking lots, yet is far more common in Europe where garages are far less prevalent -- another factor in the wave there, I feel.
that's correct too, and accessing the contents of the car is the most common form of illegal entry into cars here in my city too.

So I park my X5 outside. I keep nothing in it of any value (expect my 30 lb child seat). Frankly, I'd prefer they access it with keyless code readers than smashing my window. They can also help themselves to the 50 pennies I have stuffed in the glovebox while they're at it.