View Single Post
      08-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #32
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerboy63 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the Quad LI setup?
Yes, what theaudir8fan said. Laser alert on a radar detector only lets you know that you are getting pulled over. I am new to laser jammers but I'll try to explain them as I know it. The laser beam shooting out of the laser is very narrow so typically the cop is targetting you when you get hit with laser, the beam is like 2-3 feet narrow. A radar signal is much more wider which is why radar detectors are effective against the traditional radar guns.

A LI or Laser Intercepter, often called laser jammers, jam the laser signal and lets you know that you are being hit. What you do next is slow down to PSL or posted speed limit, turn off your jammer, let the cop see your speed, and then move on. Otherwise, the cop will get suspicious. Now, these so called heads are like the parking sensors on our cars, but only bigger and oval in shape. Each head jams about 1-2 feet radius, so having one head is not enough protection. The bigger the car, the more heads you need. Generally you put two in the front, and this is referred to as dual setup, dual head. What if the cop hits you with laser from behind? Then you need rear heads. Sometimes people with smaller cars get one and put it in the rear. Hence, the setup is called tri setup, etc. The Quad setup is generally what most people get as a good counter measure: two heads in the front, two in the rear. The cops will try to target your headlights, taillights and license plates to get a speed reading, so head should be placed accordingly.

AL Priority makes the best laser jammers right now. They are pricey though, about $1,500-2,000 for quad setup. Most people couple the laser jammers with the Bel Stir-R Plus radar detector.
Appreciate 0