View Single Post
      09-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #54
cko
Rep
Drives: 2013 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
Hey guys,

I have been reading this thread as I just picked up a 2011 X5M. I also own a 2010 e90 m3. I am the only owner to the M3 since day one. The x5m was owned by an older woman so when buying it I felt more at ease to some regards with the engine and tranny.

I bring this up as I have been in the process of paint correcting it. I noticed on the back of the vehicle a lot of discoloration/soot where the license plate would be. I have the same issue with my M3, but it is catless so it's bound to happen. I thought it was odd to see this. The more that I have been driving the car and getting more progressive with the throttle I can definitely tell there is some sort of misfiring ocurring as I had the same symptoms in my AUDI TTRS that I just traded in.

In reading this thread this leaves me wondering about the injectors. The car has 29xxx. I bought it with 28xxx. So literally just started getting the car adapted to my driving style.
Soot anywhere on the rear section of the car is not normal. I had noticeable soot buildup on the lower valance of the bumper right near the exhaust tips. The car (2012 X5M) is white and would show the soot after about a week of normal driving. I took it to the dealer, they pulled the plugs, saw that 6 of the 8 were fouled and heavily carbon'ed. (sign of mis-fire) They attributed it to leaky injectors, replaced all 8. So far so good, as the problem has not evidenced itself in about 1,000 miles. If I remember correctly, the dealer reference the TSB (provided elsewhere in this thread) in the repair order.

It may be worth checking with your dealer on the matter. My car did not have a CEL, but was diagnosed and repaired under warranty.
Appreciate 0