View Single Post
      12-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
RaTeD ///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2K13 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx2 View Post
This topic has been discussed at length many times but I'm curious to know what the most used tunes are these days.

I did a quick search of recent threads and it seems the Velos tune is becoming very common now followed by Active Autowerke and Dinan. I don't see anything on the ESS anymore and I noticed they no longer offer the Direct Flash handheld unit and instead provide an OBDII to USB cable to connect to a laptop.

Besides the obvious warranty advantage of the Dinan tune is there any other reason to consider it? The advertised numbers are average and nowhere near the big numbers from some of the other tuners and pricing is typical Dinan.

The Velos Designwerkes tune has received positive feedback of late and the advertised gains are very good. Customer service also appears to be very good which is nice to see and reassuring should something go wrong.

The Active Autowerke offering has the highest advertised gains. The chart on their website clearly illustrates the gains at each rpm increment when compared to stock. I found the data very interesting and helpful when evaluating the advertised gains. This seems like a very interesting option.

Would love to hear some real world experiences especially from those that have tried more than one tune.

Some of the data I've collected so far:

ESS E-Flash S63 ECU Performance Software
+40-50rwhp
$1795.00

Dinan Stage 1 Performance Engine Software
+56hp
+74lb-ft
$3499.00

Active Autowerke X5M & X6M Performance Software
+19.16 rwhp (max hp)
+86.18 rwhp (max gain @ 4400rpm)
+100.82 lb-ft (max torque)
+117.36 lb-ft (max gain @ 3600rpm)
$1500.00
$1850.00 (w/ SIMON hand held programmer)

Velos Designwerks Performance Stage 2 Software
+90 hp
+130 lb-ft
$1500.00
$2250.00 (w/ Personal Tuner)
Something you also need to consider is the advertised gains from AA are in RWHP so when you convert to AWHP the numbers will be less.

Also, velos gains are in AWHP so its an apple to apple comparison to a baseline stock dyno plot.
Appreciate 0