04-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #19
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
It would interesting to know how it works, I know there differences between the US and elsewhere due to regulations. I know BMW can always find my car (have tested that a few times with assist, they were within 10ft) but figured that had to do with the GPS/Nav system.
The car does have it's own SIM card as it needs this to be able to establish a communication channel with BMW assist. When you press the Assist button in the car, a call via cell towers to the BMW assist center is established. This is done via a cell phone equivalent modem inside of your car. This has nothing to do with the bluetooth interface or your cell phone. The BMW assist function will only work in areas that have sufficient cell coverage.

The BMW connected drive feature utilizes this modem for data transport via the cell service.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0