09-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #21
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
No the Active 7 is a hybrid- it has an electric motor, batteries and a V8- the name hybrid might have given that a way a bit. The power upgrade is software and cooling based and is not a hybrid.

The X6 hybrid will be here as well, and that is a two mode- so it can run on electric only.
As you stated, the X6 Active Hybrid is a different setup over the Active Hybrid 7. The X6 will run on electric only as well as gas and electric and gas only mode whereas the 7 will only run in gas and electric or gas only mode.

The difference is that in the 7 they use the electric motors for performance enhancement only (and with that, it will help the fuel economy to a certain degree). There was a document posted in the 7post forum somewhere that pointed out that the Active Hybrid 7 4.4l TTV8 actually got a boost in power output in addition to the electric motors!

I was surprised when I read that document a month or so back too. I originally thought that the performance enhancement came from the addition of the electric motors, but apparently that's not the only source of the acceleration improvement.

If I remember correctly, the Active Hybrid 7 gets from 0 to 100km/h (0-62mph) in 4.9s!

There are other differences between the X6 and 7 hybrid versions. Like the battery type.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0