View Single Post
      10-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
scott135i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

M5 Mufflers installed on 550xi - with OEM M Sport Diffuser

Finally got to installing these at Maximum PSI in Linden, NJ yesterday. Great shop, well known for their incredible single turbo kits for E36 and E46 M3's, but they do all work on BMW's and others, including service work. Can't say enough good things about Mike, the owner.

So I know most people on here installing the F10 M5 exhaust on their 550i's have also installed the M5 rear diffuser. For me, that was silly since: (a) I don't love the look (b) have comfort access and relocating the module is a pain (c) my car is leased (d) didn't want to pay extra unnecessarily.

I picked up a set of the F10 M5 mufflers from a local board member in NJ. The install was very straight forward.

The M5 piping diameter is 3", while the 550i piping is 2.75". To install, we fabbed a small section of piping on each side using 2.75" piping to connect to the factory 550i side, and expanded to 3" for the M5 muffler side. We then TIG welded it instead of clamping for obvious reasons. Maxiumum PSI does MIG welding as well, but it wasn't worth it, for me, for this.

Front hanger (on muffler itself) was left as is, and rear hanger was modded for fitment as the M5 tips sit closer to the center than the 550i's M sport diffuser allows. Also, the M5 exhaust flap controls are on the outside instead of inside, and we needed to extend the vaccum line to keep the flaps functional. I might end up unplugging them in the future, but wanted the option.

As for sound, the oem 550i exhaust is literally the quietest V8 I think I've been in - you only hear engine noise, even at cold start. With the M5 mufflers installed, it sounds like it should have from the factory. A deep growl/grumble, but still overall tame sounding and pleasant in-cabin under all driving conditions. I'd like it to be a little louder, so I plan on cutting out the center muffler, which isn't present on the M5 exhaust, upon removal making it nearly identical to the M5 aside from the piping diameter .25" difference and the difference in downpipes. Removal of this center muffler should make this perfect sounding for me.

The tips fit perfectly and look great. Was thinking of installing the larger black tips that Cyba sells, but I think I'm just going to have these hi-temp powder coated gloss black in the spring, we'll see.

Video's to come when I borrow my friends GoPro, but enjoy the pics in the interim. For me, this install was a no brainer, even on a lease. Mufflers for the 550i are stupidly priced at $2-$3k, so this is OEM, retains the flaps, and is a relative steal. I was going to pick up a set of used Eisenmann Race Mufflers for $1600 but even that to me wasn't worth it.

Enjoy the pics until I get a chance to take video.... I am extremely happy. M5 mufflers are much smaller and lighter in weight.

Appreciate 0