08-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #12
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinzon View Post
You are getting into semantics now... though my Lexus with Mark Levinson components produced crispier mids and lows... Sound and iDrive speed are two things BMW has a ways to go on..
Didn't mean to be confusing.

Let me say it another way: Most good quality sound systems have circuitry that separates the various sound frequencies within the total range of human hearing. As most people are aware, the highest frequencies are for the smallest speakers and so on. Most systems only need one sub-woofer because sound in the low ranges travels omni-directional, but it will travel long distances. On the other hand, higher frequencies are not as powerful and don't travel as far. That's why you need the filtering circuitry to direct the frequencies to the proper speaker location.

Normally a good sub-woofer is large, takes up a lot of room and is somewhat obtrusive. Because they are large, you typically only need one to do the job. So I'm guessing BMW's strategy was to use 2 smaller, less powerful sub-woofers and put them closer to the primary occupants (i.e., under the front seats).

My point earlier was, and I didn't mean to be confusing, was this sounds (pun intended) like it's a funky setup, but I understand why BMW made the compromise. Regardless, the sub-woofer is always going to emit some amount of sound, although it may not be as obvious as high and mid range frequencies, which are going to be closer to your ears. The issue may be that BMW used low power sub-woofers, and since they were aiming at space utilization as a priority, they may not emit much sound, hence the OP's question:

For those people that have the Premium Sound system upgrade, how much sound are their sub-woofers putting out?
Appreciate 0