View Single Post
      05-21-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
1st MSD v81 Tuned

A good customer of ours brought another one of his cars to us this afternoon.

A brand new N54 powered X6!:

Interior shot:

Engine bay:

PnP v3 PROcede installed (but not tucked away):

Initial Obvervations:
The ECU compartment is very easy to get to. Only takes 30 seconds or so to remove the two plastic overs. The ECU cover itself is also easy to get off just as long as you realize that there is a clip at the back. ECU compartment is smaller than normal which means that you have to carefully position the PROcede, v2 ballast and relay in the same "shelf". It's tight but it will all fit. The remote switch box will have to sit on top of everything. The is also very high off the ground making it a bit difficult to work on (duh). If I was a foot shorter, I'd have given up

The charge plumbing on the engine is VERY different from the 135/335/535. So different, in fact, that it took me a good 5 minutes to figure out where the piping goes. Boost control solenoids are nearly impossible to see or get to. Thank god we don't mess with them or the hoses

Other than that, the Plug n Play install was simple. Car started right up with the "Doomsday" map that I've been developing on my fully modded 6MT 335. As expected, I had to make some changes to account for the 6AT. There were some other MSD 81 differences that I logged. But seeing how the last thread turned out, i'll just keep them to myself. Also, no dyno results yet. We'd have to go to an AWD dyno for that.

Bottom line: Car is fast. No limps. No throttle closure. Just good power.

BTW, Doba S and I went on a fast backroad drive and the X6 is just outrageous. Minimal body roll and incredible mid-corner balance. In many ways, it handles better than my 335 and that is no joke. It's got a bitchin' torque vectoring rear diff that sends torque to the outside rear wheel while cornering. This pretty much eliminates understeer completely. Same set-up as the EVO X, btw. I never thought I'd want an SUV. But this car is really is amazing.

Cheers
shiv
Appreciate 0