View Single Post
      03-22-2017, 11:37 PM   #12
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Again you are just confirming the fact that your 35d is beyond the norm. If anything, that thing should have been lemoned with all those problems. Having to do CBU cleaning at 28k makes me believe your diesel hardly gets to stretch its legs on the highway. Actually based on all your problems, it's clear to me that your DPF hardly has a chance to burn off the soot and that's directly related to how the vehicle is driven. Diesels in general aren't meant to be city driven and the proof is in how the systems work and when diesels are most efficient. This applies to those with E90s as well. Frankly, my opinion is that buying a diesel for around town for mileage is really the opposite of why you'd buy a diesel.

As for the common vacuum lines fraying over the turbo area, I don't think 60-80k worth of mileage for $20 worth of parts is really worth making a big deal. I personally did all the vacuum lines myself for about a total of $120 in parts directly purchased from the dealership. The only time I'd consider this a big issue is when you let the dealership replace the two vacuum lines for $800 (which is what I was originally quoted).

Glow plugs is one of those things that people end up spending money on parts and labor when not needed. In many cases a $100-$120 module is all that is needed rather than replacing all the glow plugs. And even if it's a isolated issue with just one glow plug, a replacement cost is only $100 + labor. And going back to my point earlier, more frequent driving cycles around town will only increase your chances of failure happening sooner.

Again, I'm not saying diesels aren't problem free however going back to my original point, if you eliminate the emissions system you'll greatly reduce the possibility of failures. And just to underscore my assessment, I have a strong feeling that many of these failures are attributed to short duration driving cycles where the DPF rarely has a chance to burn off the soot. As for my case being a rareity, maybe but I can't imagine it's just a coincidence that I have a few friends that use their 35d in the same manner as I and they have had little to no problems.
Appreciate 2