View Single Post
      03-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #10
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
Yeah so spending ~4000 to have someone fix your emissions, fixes one major problem area on the diesels. But he will still have potential vibration damper failures, glow plugs, glow plug modules, vacuum lines, oil line, boost hoses, engine mounts, MAF failures, etc. there is no bullet proofing the diesel. There is only spending a lot of money to fix weaknesses. I know, I've done the tuning, blocking etc. stuff still breaks. Folks also have occasional transmission failures, turbo failures etc. plus all the other things the break on an x5. My advice is an extended warranty is cheaper than fixing it all yourself if it fails. It's a waste of money if your BMW is reliable. Mine dosent have a cbu issue anymore, but it still greats me with monthly ses lights. But I do enjoy the extra power and fuel economy.

The diesel has been just as unreliable as my n62 x5, and expensive to maintain but I'm very different ways. I seem to have an attraction to unreliable bmws lol. Btw the reliable bmws are the simple basic models, the more complicate and options the more potential for expensive problems.
I think you are stretching here. You just about named every problem that has been discussed on this forum with the diesels. That doesn't mean that every diesel is going to experience those same issues. If your diesel has been just as unreliable as your n62, that's saying you definitely have more issues than normal. Not to mention you listed stuff that should be replaced on any X5 as preventative maintenance. Don't get me wrong, the diesel isn't perfect but by taking the emissions components you are eliminating the biggest weak point of the 35d.

I also believe a lot of issues with the diesels are attributed to how these vehicles are driven. I bought mine for long trips where most of the mileage is on the highway or in the mtns (hike a lot). Overall in my 2.5yrs of ownership my diesel has been rock solid. That being said though, I have done some preventative work on it including carbon cleanup of intake, throttle body and EGR valve. I've also replaced all the vacuum lines. This work was done 10k+ miles ago and everything has been running smooth since.
Appreciate 1