Maxx2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 X5M

X5 50i (N63) Airfilter Removal Guide

X5 50i (N63) Airfilter Removal Guide-

N63 engine

Engine shroud removal
(The plastic panel is just pressed on and connects in (6) places. This cover can be pulled up without any tools. Note: Bottom two fasteners are not shown in the picture, but in the location outlined)

Right Side Airbox

Left Side Airbox

Left Side Cover
(To remove this cover loosen the (4) 13mm plastic bolts. NOTE: these are ¼ turn cam-lock type bolts and do not come out. There is a small arrow on the cover which lines up with a small arrow on the bolt head which indicates when the bolt is locked. Absolutely no force is required to loosen and tighten these bolts.)

Right Side Cover
(Same as left side cover)

Cabin Air Filter Box
(After removing the left side cover the cabin air filter box will be exposed. To remove the cover loosen the (3) 13mm plastic bolts. Note: these are the exact same as the cover which was just removed and only require ¼ turn to loosen. Then disconnect sensor and remove the cabin air box cover with attached filters.)

Cabin Air Filters

Cabin Air Filter Box
(with cover removed)

Left Side Divider Panel
(This panel must be removed to get access to airbox screws beneath it)

Left Side Divider Panel removal
(Remove the (3) T-25 Torx screws)

Left Side Divider Panel removal (Continued)
Remove the (2) 10mm bolts and then remove the plastic push fastener by pulling the center pin until it pops out and then push out the plastic clip which is left behind)

Left Side Divider Panel removed

Right Side Divider Panel removal
(Remove the (3) T-25 Torx screws shown below and release clip holding wire)

Right Side Divider Panel removal (Continued)
(Remove the (2) 10mm bolts and then remove the plastic push fastener by pulling the center pin until it pops out and then push out the plastic clip which is left behind)

Both divider panels removed

Strut Brace Removal
(Loosen up the (4) 15mm bolts and remove both strut braces.)

Engine bay stripped down and finally revealing all airbox screws

Removal of rubber couplers
(Loosen up the (4) 6mm worm screw clamps and slide the rubber couplers towards the front of the engine until they clear the edge of the airbox cover)

Disconnect MAF sensors

Remove airbox covers
(Loosen all T25 torx screws holding airbox covers on and remove from airboxes to expose air filters)

Right Side Air filter

Left Side Air filter

Right Side Air filter removed from airbox

Air filter detail

Summary
BMW really doesn’t expect these to be serviced very often as they are buried down low and most of the screws are inaccessible without removing all kinds of stuff. Looking at the components of the intake path it is very clear that there are all kinds of restrictions and the engine would benefit massively from a better intake system. Unfortunately, I was hoping to free up a few horses by removing the charcoal filters, but to my surprise there are no charcoal filters in there. The pictures from the F10 550i airboxes show them in there, but for some reason BMW decided not to include them on the X5 50i.

Last edited by Maxx2; 05-06-2012 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0