03-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #27
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBMW6 View Post
Within the source code of the mini web-site, it shows 550 hp...
Hmmm, all this source code shows is that the 'keywords' section (used for search engines) contains a tag for 550HP. Which could be for someone searching for 550HP (e.g. Porsche Cayenne Turbo S) and he/she would get a result linking him/her to the BMW X6 M and X5 M Microsite!

It doesn't necessarily mean that the car WILL have 550HP!

Don't get me wrong, I sure hope that once they reveal the X6M, that the engine will in fact put out 550HP!!!

The Cayenne Turbo S uses a 4.8l Twin-Turbo engine producing 550HP which brings this engines output to 114.58HP/l

The X6 xDrive50i has a 4.4l Twin-Turbo producing 400HP or 90.91HP/l and the X5M/X6M would bring this to 125HP/l if the output will be 550HP.

In comparison, the xDrive35i which has a 3.0l Twin-Turbo engine with 300HP puts out 100HP/l.

Of course they can push this higher (on either engine), but unless they also beef up the cooling and everything else that goes with it, the longtime reliability of the engine would suffer.

BMW has announced a (modest) power upgrade option for for the 3.0l Twin-Turbo charged engine (N54) which was probably based on the research/tuning done on this engine for the 740 which puts out 326HP. Part of this option is a beefed up cooling system.

Based on all of this, I would assume that the M division put quite a few modifications under the hood of the X6M. It's definitely not just a 'simple' tune or reprogramming of the engine electronics.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0