11-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #22
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeN5 View Post
Don't disagree with you there. Unfortunately, many Americans still can't pull their heads out of the sandbox and get over the old notion about diesel being smelly and dirty, BMW and Mercedes can't just stand by watching Toyota monopolyzing the growing luxury hybrid segment. They have no choice but to jump on the bandwagon with these cars. I hope sometime during the next 3-series's life cycle, BMW would pull a surprise magic trick out of the hat and offers a diesel/hybrid version (perhaps a 320d AH). That would be the ultimate driving hybrid.
Again, Hybrids have proven to be the most successful sales campaign of a MOST useless product of this century. People should in fact be more educated about the the manufacturing process of these hybrids. For instance these batteries themselves require mining of some of the rarest minerals known to man the world over. That is an expensive and VERY POLLUTING process. Then you have the recycling of these aforementioned batteries which is in a very nascent phase... again very polluting. At least these german hybrids use a lot of recyclable parts.
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0