bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
Hey guys,

Here is my questions, my 35i is having rpm surge issues and a feel of lack of power. I am certain that the car needs spark plugs and coil packs replaced and possibly a walnut blast to resolve this issue.

BACKSTORY: I have noticed that when I am driving the car when coming near or to a stop the RPMs will surge up, it would feel like someone is on and off the brakes leaching forward (but no moving)

I took the car into the dealership that a friend worked at and they updated the DME stating that this would resolve my issue. After a few days of driving the car is doing it even more and the car feels really sluggish. Going up parking inclines seems like the car is flat on its ass. So i talked to my friend and the dealership is telling me that there techs will not work on the car as they do not get paid for diagnostics as the car is not showing any check engine lights. (I know this is bullshit, and having another friend who works at another BMW dealership look into my issue for me)

Has anyone experienced this kind of behavior with there 35i? Take a look at the video, surging starts at around 19 seconds in.

any advice would be helpful. I am pretty much at a point where I am going to buy new plugs and coils, but want to get some advice before I start putting money into it and not resolving this.
If you have access to Rheingold, try to pull Air-to-fuel-ratio numbers - it's possible that you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Also, if the spark plug replacement interval is 60K miles, so if it hasn't been changed, you're well past the due date.
Appreciate 0