02-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJugador View Post
This might be a bonehead question, but I'm confused about some of the tire information. I've got the 2012 x5 diesel with the sport suspension and the 20" drug dealer wheels. I haven't even hit 10k miles yet and my rear tires are done. I had to buy the car in a bit of a hurry for tax purposes and didn't really investigate how long a set of tires last. I never dreamed they would cost so much and/or thought they would wear out quickly.

I see all these tire discussions and wonder if the fact that there is a difference for me based on the wheel size and suspension vs. an x5 with the more standard setup.

Frankly, I'd be willing to sacrifice performance for cost or longevity. Also, I'm not sure if most tire shops are equipped to change these tires based on what I've been told. Any advice would be appreciated 'cause I'm not willing to keep a car that requires $2k worth of tires every few months.
There is a simple solution: get rid of the 20" wheels and all your problems will disappear I have 19" with Pirelli Scorpion Verde non-runflat tires on my '12 X5 35d and they look 1/3 to 1/2 worn with 21K miles on the car. I also recently drove about 3K miles on 18" Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tires and they proved to be phenomenal in snow and ice - they also have a very soft and quiet ride. My car has Adaptive Drive.

There are plenty of people on this forum who think that the 20"s look better and provide better performance. IMO having huge anchors at each corner does not improve performance and as far as looks I'm with you in the j/k description "drug dealer wheels". As you now know, they wear out quickly and they give you a punishing ride - sell them - you'll find plenty of buyers right here.
Appreciate 0