View Single Post
      09-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Hope I'm wrong but it sounds like the engine is seized which can happen on the n55 after the oil filter housing gasket replacement If you do a Google search, you will find it appears to be a fairly common phenomenon In every car/suv this engine is used in. So much so BMW released a oil priming procedure for it. My theory is when doing the OFHG job there is a good chance the oil line gets airlocked somehow at idle rpm and above for the first startup as their procedure is basically pulling all your injectors wires and cranking the engine for 10 seconds, 20 second break then wait a minute and repeat the process a few more times. This would explain why the engine just stopped and then nuked the starter/relay after when attempting to jump it. Again hope I'm wrong for everyone who is involved but a quick way to find out is to try to turn over the engine with a breaker bar and socket on the crank by hand. I would do a quick search on eBay and the local yards for a used engine before you do just in case so you have answer for your friend if it does turn out to be seized.

I looked into this and it seems most of the times the n55 seizes after ofhg was bc someone dropped something into one of the ports underneath the oil filter housing. Hope you’re wrong though, that would really suck.

Not sure if this matter either but when the key is on before I start the engine the car is saying there is enough oil to start vehicle. Idk if it would say anything diff if the motor was seized. I also don’t think the ews- DME code would be present just for no reason as well as the yellow 4x4 and yellow parking brake errors after the car tries to crank. It feels like something electrical.

The test drive we went on after the gasket change was less than 2 miles.
Appreciate 0