Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Por favor en espanol para entender bien como hacerlo, gracias
I would not try it if I were you. If you don't have the basic skills to open up an ordinary headlight, then you shouldn't attempt this.

Basically, a customer of mine came to me with intentions of painting his X6 headlights, I told him that I'm sure like most BMW's, you can't open them... he told me that a guy did it w/ a heat gun (he refered to this guy from Mexico).

I do custom headlight modifications for a living so I can open a headlight blind folded... but these headlights are sealed with silicone oppose to regular glue that heats up in hot temperature and freezes when it cools down, silicone doesn't do that... the melting point for most silicone's is 750-800 degrees, at that point your headlight and lens is long melted and your headlight is useless.

The way this guy did his lights is he used a heat gun and lots and lots and lots of hours to pry open every section of the light, what you end up doing is destroying the plastic "canal" the headlight lens sits in in order to free all the silicone from it.

Only a few people have attempted to open the new BMW lights and a few succeeded, but then later failed after non stop condensation and moisture because the base of the light is distroyed from all the heatgun melting.

giogdl, if you can, can you please post pictures of the headlights when they were sealed? take some pictures of the top?

If these were my lights, I would do them... because I can deal with the condensation and work on it when I have time, but I would never offer this to a customer, 1 because it's messy as hell, 2 it's not guaranteed to keep the water out, 3 if I have to fix the condensation, it takes hours to remove the bumper and install it back on without any problems.

It would be easier for me to cut the actual lenses off the headlights right by the seams and take the headlight apart that way, then plastic weld everything back on to assure a perfect seal, otherwise... there's no other way to do this without getting yourself into a mess.
Appreciate 0