View Single Post
      12-02-2018, 10:38 PM   #12
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
The N63 valve guide seals are notorious for failure anywhere between 50-120K miles. Quite a few members here have had them replaced.

Mine failed the test at 55K miles, BMW replaced them under CPO.
They don't fail, they only wear quicker then intended thanks to the insane temps the engine is subjected to due to the tomb of a engine compartment. This in combination with an absolute JOKE of a CCV system allows zero tolerance when they wear a bit. Applying a proper amount if crankcase vacuum fixes this. My 2012 is the perfect example of this. Stock CCV system a she smokes like an old freight train after sitting at a stop light more then a minute not to mention the exhaust smelled like hell. I did nothing but setup the catch-cans with a proper amount of crankcase vacuum and no more smoke not to mention better performance and no more burning oil smell from th exhaust. So yes you can fix it with a 7k valve seal job, or 100 dollars in catch-cans and hoses. I chose the latter. Now eventually the seals may wear enough where even the proper amount of CC vacuum won't help..I'm at 130K, haven't seen it yet. Normally that's 200K+ for most engines.

I'll make a video of my exhaust idling with no CC vacuum and smoking and then one with it so people can see for themselves. I'm not saying it will solve all of the smoking n63s, but it will the vast majority of them and it's worth the time and 100 dollar gamble before you drop 7K not to mention the catch-cans catch so much crud that makes it past the stock oil/air separators that in itself will pay for it.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 12-02-2018 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0