View Single Post
      09-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #22
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Did this last evening, took about five minutes. Only thing is I didn't notice any difference in sound or performance. So...I would only recommend you do it if it makes you feel better.

I didn't take any photos, but here's a quick rundown. And a stock photo I labeled plus Miguex's photo.

Looking at the airbox, you'll notice that the airbox is actually (2) pieces, the forward portion which has the (2) downward facing ducts and the rear section attached to the intake. In the photo, the orange line shows the divide.

First, remove the (4) Torx head screws (shown by the yellow arrows).

Second, pull the airbox assembly from the (3) rubber mounts (shown by the red arrows). Do so by firmly pulling up on the mount points.

Now, the front half of the airbox will still be connected by (4) hinge-like tabs on the bottom, highlighted in the second photo. You need to lift the airbox at the seam where the (2) sections meet. This will create a gap, making the charcoal filters visible. The filters are held in place by small tabs. To remove, reach in and squeeze the filter, top to bottom. This will release it and it will pull free.

Re-align the front section of the airbox and re-install the (4) Torx screws. Lastly, push the box back down onto the (3) rubber mounts.

I did not completely remove the front section of the airbox or the paper filters like Miguex. But be sure to check the hinge tabs on the bottom of the airbox before re-assembling. If any become disconnected, the box will not re-assemble properly and you will not get a proper seal between the filters and airbox.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0