View Single Post
      03-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #39
itsme123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopsy View Post
Then you factor in the bigger profit margin of the 10w-60 and you will see why a few dealers WANT to sell you that oil instead.

Hmmm....I don't and have not paid for any oil that is involed in any normal service called for by BMW within the 4 years 50k free maintnance plan that is included in the car. For this or previous BMWs M or Non M.

BMW thought it was clear that the engine uses the 5w-30 as printed in he manual because they didn't specifically state the engine NEEDS 10w-60 like the other M engines. Common sense?

No, it does not make sense. They would of warned in big red letters to NOT use 10w-60 because it will blow up the motor.

The bikes uses 2-stroke engines, different architecture than the 4 stroke car engines, wrong comparison. And yes, 7000 rpm is already a high rev, it is a rpm range you don't normally see on most engines.

Ok....I mean this in the nicest way: Which planet are you from? Please pick your choices of Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, and go to their respective sites. Then find a street bike that is 2 cycles. I am refering to popular stree bikes such as the GSXR, R1, CBRs and etc.

Ok here we go. Load, where do we start. A good example is a desiel engine for commercial trucks which is a low rpm high load motor. Motors such as this will need a higher grade motor oil because of the load that it takes through out the crank/main bearing area. What is an indication of good quality oil? Not just viscosity. Also the shear rating of the oil. A high load motor needs an oil that can withstand the the load where the shear rate of the oil is pushed to the limit. Imagine a combustion that is happening in a 5.0 liter motor, a 7.0 liter motor and a 1.0 liter motor. All operating at say a set RPM of 5000 RPM. Are you going to get the same "load" at the main bearing between the different motors? NO. It's not just about the viscosity of oil. Many many factors goes into making an oil. The same rated viscosity oil (say 10w-30) from Castrol of different grade can act very different in the specified condition. Just as there is a difference in quality between brands of the same rated viscosity because of how it's engineered to a specific purpose.

I called BMW NA earlier, 800-831-1117. Spoke to a representative named Fred and asked him what motor oil is recommended for MY 2010 X6M. He took about 15-20 seconds to look it up on his end and replied BMW TWS 10w-60. I repeated 10W-60 three times and he emphaticlly said yes. I then proceeded to tell him that the S63 motor is different then the previous M motors and asked him to double check and he said its the 10W-60. He then asked me again to make sure I am not refering to the S62 motor which had an exception and I said it's the S63. He said the only time any other grades of synthetic oil can be used is for emergency top off where the 10w60 is not available. Please someone else call and verify. For all I know, you may get a different answer, but this is what I got.
Appreciate 0