04-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #18
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
^ interesting, I wasnt under the impression that "tii" would replace or be equal to "CSL," I was under the impression that "tii" would be similar to "ZHP," which would be a good fit for the package we are see'ing in these pictures. "M" bits and more power, but no actual "M" badge...

I would actually prefer them to bring back "ZHP" to the 3er and if its a good fit, for other models as well, but I guess I'm partial...

Regardless of what its called, it will be sweet to see...

As for the comments above about "M" never making it to an SUV, who knows, the also said they would never FI an "M" vehicle, and the rumor is they are reconsidering it as well, so maybe they will release an "M" version of the x5/x6. Exciting nonetheless...

And as for me "Quoting something untrue," I believe my disclaimer was the "supposedly" I placed in front of the statement, meaning, well, Supposedly, not "they are defiantly bringing tii versions of the 1er and 3er" but "supposedly." I guess I don't know of any other way to state that I wasn't trying to quote a fact I thought to be true, but to state that it was a rumor I had read. And as for "lightweight and sporty" not being for SUV's, I dont know so much about that, maybe not the "lightweight" part, but x5's have always been "sporty" to me, and I think "sporty" is the point of the x6...
My bad... it has been a longgggg week.

Let me rephrase. The tii will indeed be a ZHP, but it is supposedly going to be more like the Mini GP edition, making it lighter.

Let me elaborate: BMW had used the John Cooper Works branding as a test case for this tii concept but in the Mini. BMW actually went from a partnership to buying out the JCW brand b/c it was a cash producer and a great concept... offer performance parts at the dealers and then come out with the occasional special edition that is factory built, limited, lighter, more power and a large price tag... the difference with the BMW tii concept is that it will initially focus on parts, then models ie the 1 and the 3. It will have to be less than an //M but more than stock... ala Audi and the S vs. RS.
Sources I have have indicated that the US can expect a performance version ala ZHP as 2010 model. We also have indication that the e-diff from the 1 will indeed make its way into this model and a milder DCT as well (lose the drivelogic).

There is a lot in the plans for the next two years on so many levels.

I was told specifically that BMW will not //M an SAV (yet) until they can get the weight down a bit more, this is not AMG, it is //M I was told. With the torque vectoring x-drive it will handle great..... the difference with the BMW setup (ZF) is that even when you let off the gas it still sends the torque to the outside wheel, unlike the Honda/Acura Super handling AWD.
I will be writing about this in more detail next week....
Bimmerfile.com