01-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
ek1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty racer View Post
Hi,
I have searched and read the threads on winter tires etc. but all seem to be bassed on winters in the northeast.

I live in the southeast (north carolina). We are currently looking at a 2013 x5m to replace a hummer h3 alpha. Mainly driven by wife to and from work about 5 miles each way. So low use. Then used for road trips n people moving (at rapid speed ;-) )

However, one of the big saves the hummer has provided in the past 2 years is getting me to work (40 mile commute) when we get the one or two snows a year in NC.

Obviously, snow is rare in NC but does happen occassionally. So what do you southern X5M owners do in the winter? Winter tires? Or do the stock tires work well enough for that one snow or two?

Thanks for the help
The truth is that stock X5M tires are very useless (and dangerous) in the snow. And I am not even talking about deep snow - never mind that. If you hit a patch of packed snow and try to stop, the traction control will go on, but the car will just keep going (with slightly slower speed). I got my X5M in January 2012 and we had a snowstorm literally a few days later. I did a couple of tests and based on what I remember, if you are going around 30Mph, it will take you a long distance (like 20ft) to come to a stop on packed snow. Definitely not a good feeling.

I was lucky enough to find a tire shop that took my Dunlops with 300 miles on them (plus $300 cash) and exchanged them for a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS. These tires are awesome! The ride is super quiet and solid, grip is 95% of stock tires and they are great on packed snow (have not tried anything deeper than 3-4" yet.

By the way, make sure you order a spare tire with your X5M. It's only $150, but goes a long way. If you switch to non-runflats, having a spare tire gets you that peace of mind we all love.

Then again, like the other poster said, if you can just take a few days off and wait out the snow, then stock tires will work fine.
Appreciate 0