08-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #17
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbagejunk View Post
Wouldn't the vents on the top make the air pass through the kidney grills, then through engine compartment then come out on top through the vents thus increasing airflow in the top part of the engine compartment?
Yes, I'm not an engineer,but you would get the flowthru effect w/ the car at speed.I still believe it would help at idle or low speed.Hot air rises.Look at most modern auto hood systems...they are completely sealed except for the front grill openings.Done mostly for engine noise suppression (the masses don't want to hear the machine they are driving) and for aerodynamics related to MPG.None of the above is really conducive to 1,200 degree F turbo's staying cool.I know modern turbo's are cooled by the water jacket,etc.Still, very sealed engine compartment w/ very hot turbo's not real good for long engine life.Not to long ago auto manfs recommended popping the hood after long runs to help cool turbo engines .It's like BMWs "Free Maintenance" just because they say long intervals is ok on certain items,does not make it right.If the TTV8 has overheating issues the hood vents would help....just like popping the hood still helps on turbo engines.Nobody does it because its a hassle no one wants to engage in.Back to my original point...there is a reason those hood vents are on test cars....to vent hot engine air.The test cars are pushed.But not every second is spent on the track.Just my two cents worth...again!!!! Thanks!!! PalBay