Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Less of an issue with heavier OE wheels. I had my M Coupe wheels powder coated and tracked the bejesus out of that car with no issues. Given the temp readings from lasers on track wheels, I'm inclined to call shenanigans on this anyway.

But gloss black over matte. Something like bronze would be my choice.
I understand that you didn't have any issues with your wheels, but the fact is that is does affect strength.
BBS, Volk and Advan are all major manufacturers of wheels and will void the warranty if you powder coat their wheels.
I think it's more complicated than that. Do those same manufacturers void warranties for track use? I've seen wheel spoke temps higher than powdercoat cure temps at the track.

I'd guess it has more to do with the manufacturers lack of control over the process, specifically around keeping the mounting points properly taped, the edge of the rim clean, etc.

Temp is an easy scapegoat, and a shoddy powdercoat job is a valid risk, but I know plenty of track rats with pc'ed wheels and none have had issues.

It's a risk, sure, but not the holy shit freak out event some folks would have you believe.
Appreciate 0