View Single Post
      12-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Maxx2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 X5M

xDrive 50i - ESS DirectFlash vs Dinan Stg1

I realize this topic has been discussed many times and I've searched countless threads, but have two cars with these two tunes ever lined up in the real world to validate the numbers correspond to real world performance differences?

On the DINAN website the stg1 shows a max HP gain of +96hp @ 6500rpm and a max Torque gain of +103lb-ft @ 2500rpm. It then shows peak HP of 495 @ 5000rpm and peak Torque of 573lb-ft @ 3500rpm. Considering the factory ratings of 400hp and 440lb-ft, I can understand the 495hp peak which is close enough to the +96hp rating, but how does the torque jump to 573lb-ft from 440lb-ft with a +103lb-ft increase? Anyone have a before and after dyno on the same day?

As far as the ESS DirectFlash is concerned, the website quotes +40-50whp (+47-59hp using RWHP/0.85) in the product description but then shows +102hp (408 to 510) and +120NM (600 to 720) (+88lb-ft) at the bottom of the page. What is the real HP increase? Is it the 47-59hp or the 102hp shown at the bottom of the page? The torque only has one number shown so I would assume it is accurate at +120NM (+88lb-ft). Anyone have a before and after dyno on the same day?

If we disregard the "numbers" for a minute, there is the obvious difference in how these tunes are installed and removed. The ESS DirectFlash has the clear advantage here as it can be installed/removed in the comfort of your own home. That is a BIG plus when deciding between these two. The fact that the DINAN tune cannot be removed when going in for service is imo a major drawback. Some people may have a SA they can trust and count on, but many of us do not. Many enjoy the peace of mind the DINAN warranty offers and some actually believe that it works in tandem with the original BMW warranty, but the fact is your BMW warranty WILL BE VOIDED if they have a reason to blame the DINAN software, and we all know that they will always find a way to blame something on the software. I have never dealt with DINAN warranties, but I would not want to experiment with it while my car is sitting at a BMW dealership with some sort of problem. Oh, and good luck with the Magnuson-Moss act... the headaches trying to get BMW to pick up the tab on something which may or may not have been caused by something you should not have been tampering with in the first place. No thank you.

The price of the two is also a significant deciding factor. The DINAN at $2999 is exactly double the price of the ESS DirectFlash with the current offers (MSRP $1695). That is quite a big difference and definitely something to factor in. The old saying, "You get what you pay for," doesn't necessarily apply here as ESS's reputation is top notch and the product they are offering also appears to be very well developed and high quality. DINAN prices aren't always the most competitive for some reason...

To summarize; I am taking delivery of a new 2012 X5 xDrive50i this week and want to have one of these two on order before taking delivery... I have spent a considerable amount of time behind the wheel of an X5M and am looking for something "comparable" power wise when all is said and done... It will never be an "M" but I would like to get the power much closer!

Would really appreciate any input!

Thanks.

Last edited by Maxx2; 12-25-2011 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 0